Friday, January 29, 2010

Our House

It is hard to describe to others the connection, the affinity I have to that house. When we first bought the house in 1992, I said, "I will die in this house". I said, "I will never sell". At the time, I meant it and when the discussion came, some 12 years later, I initially said "No". But like many things in your life, positions change or are negotiated. There were many reasons we sold and by the time we were done, the regret was but a glimmer. I soon put it behind me to focus on the "new house, new neighborhood, new adventures". I was delighted and thrilled with my beautiful "new home" but I never stopped going back to look and remember. I followed the developments on "my house", because that's how I have always felt, like a love sick stalker. Not at first, but as time went on, the drive down the road became a frequent escapade. We talked often of "our house" and we knew soon that in the near future, it would be available again. Like a moth drawn to the flame, we both kept going back. We talked, debated, said "yes, lets do it" to "we made the right decision, leave it alone". Yet, we haven't been able to. Every time I have walked through those doors over the years it has been abandoned, I felt at home. When I saw the condition they had left it, I cried in sorrow that they never saw the gift they had been given and therefore, did not treasure. When I heard another bid had been placed, I cried for fear that I would loose it. I could not envision anyone else living there. I believed it was "our house". I cried hardest, when told, "They've accepted your offer"; Tears of joy and happiness. We close next week. We have a lot of renovation to do. We have to sell our current house but we are going home! I wish you were hear, Cynthia, to celebrate, to shop, to help design, to help share in the excitement and frustration of renovating "our house", a second time. It is going to be a very busy year. I wish you were here; what fun we would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment